Because of the size and weight of pallets, important safety factors have to be considered at all times:
- Pay attention to any loose components in the pallet rack system, and take the time to report any damage in the pallet rack frame; such frame damage could cause the pallets to fall.
- It is the owner’s legal responsibility to communicate this important warning to all who are around storage racks:
“Never climb on racks during or after assembly. Storage racks are not designed to be stepped on or climbed on. A slip or fall may result in serious injury.”
It is especially important to have highly visible warning signs if the pallet rack system is used in retail environments, such as wholesale centers, where the public is present.
- Use only quality pallets that are not damaged. To save money, or perhaps from neglectful management, some warehouses use pallets until they become faulty and dangerous. Regular inspection of pallets for broken or fractured planks or stringers, protruding nails, and missing support blocks is essential. Damaged pallets can cause loading and unloading problems; for example, loose stringers can get hung up on the pallet racks, which can cause loads to fall from high positions. Also, faulty pallets can cause obstruction problems in flow systems by jamming certain pallet rack designs.
- Always ensure that the proper motorized equipment is being used for the application.
- Do not obstruct the end of aisles by staging pallets in these areas. Doing so can cause severe and potentially fatal injuries and accidents.
- Never overload or exceed the recommended load specifications for a racking system. Overloading may cause a catastrophic failure of your storage rack system.
- Rack Audits (safety checks) should be performed on a regular basis by a qualified inspector familiar with RMI design and safety standards to make sure all aspects of system are up to 100% operationally safety.
Capacity is more important than Price.
Buying the right rack for the application is your best investment. If you buy rack based on price you could be sacrificing Safety. We here at Pallet Racking Plus believe in selling you a system based on your applications specific requirements. We can sell you lower cost racking based on condition and aesthetic but want it to be the right system for your application. Every Rack system may look very similar but knowing specifics about the gauge of steel and the Strength of a specific brand of rack is important to understanding its Capacity potential. Please consider the cost of safety when selecting your specific system.